Shared by Mary W.
4 Potatoes, peeled and sliced thin
1 tablespoon Butter
4 cloves Garlic, minced or sliced thin
2 cups Heavy cream
½ cup (or more) Swiss or Gruyere cheese, grated
Salt and pepper to taste
Nutmeg to taste
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
1. Melt butter in a heavy saucepan. Add garlic and sweat briefly.
2. Add heavy cream. Bring to a boil then simmer until 1½ cups remain.
3. Season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Liquid should almost taste over-seasoned.
4. In a large bowl, combine sliced potatoes and cheese. Toss well to combine.
5. Spray a 13-inch by 9-inch baking pan with vegetable spray. Layer potato-and-cheese mixture evenly in the baking pan.
6. Pour heavy cream mixture evenly over layered potatoes.
7. Bake for 1 hour or until potatoes are tender and there is a deep brown crust on top. Let rest for 5 minutes and serve.