Auto-Blue

Get An Auto Insurance Quote

Find out if you're eligible to save hundreds on your car insurance.

Brain Teaser Coded States Free Game

Brain Teaser: Coded States

Allie Johnson

Are you a geography buff or traveler? If so, you may enjoy taking a journey from the comfort of your home with this brain teaser about U.S. states. Research shows that just thinking about a trip — as you will when you try your hand at this word puzzle — can give you a mental health and mood boost.

You may get a double benefit since both brain teasers and travel can help you to stay mentally sharp. Travel also has benefits for your cognitive and physical health, according to “Destination Healthy Aging: the Physical, Cognitive and Social Benefits of Travel,” a report from the Global Coalition on Aging. In fact, travel can positively impact your health by:

• Reducing stress
  • Increasing overall happiness
  • Giving you opportunities to exercise
  • Offering mental stimulation

“Mental activity and cognitive stimulation, which can be achieved through various activities associated with travel, have been linked to brain health,” the report states. On just one trip, you may learn your way around a new city, navigate from point A to point B, meet new people, solve a logistics problem and visit a museum.

So why not mentally pack your bags for a trip across America the Beautiful? From the Statue of Liberty in the east to the rolling fields of wheat in the heartland to the Grand Canyon out west, the country is full of amazing sights.

Take this virtual journey with “Coded States,” a brain teaser that lists the names of eight U.S. states in code. To solve the puzzle, you have to crack the code and discover the name of each state.

Coded States Puzzle Brain Teaser
Scroll down to find the answers.
United States Map
Coded States Answer

How’d you do? Did you solve the puzzle and find the state names? Have you taken trips to any of these states — or do you have a trip planned? Please drop a comment below to share your favorite travel memories or plans.

Want to test your knowledge of the great United States even more? Try our United States Shapes Quiz or our State Capitals Quiz.

11 Responses to "Brain Teaser: Coded States"
    • sharon milliken | March 19, 2022 at 11:21 am

great puzzle ..took a while for #4…

• Gail F Ward | February 23, 2022 at 1:52 pm

I pulled this out during the evening while relaxing. Over the course of a week I thought I have figured them all out. However, #5 had me stumped. We have travelled in most of the States, but the East Coast was rather spotty for us. We did not get to Maryland. This was a fun “Brain Teaser.”

• Trisha | February 3, 2022 at 4:39 pm

I really enjoyed this and hope to see more!

• james tryon | February 1, 2022 at 7:39 pm

Of the coded states listed, Illinois is one that I avoid at all costs if possible. It is a state you must go through, though, to get anywhere in the upper Midwest. I never gas up or stop anywhere in the state. I make sure I can get all the way through without stopping. You may still get stopped by the police no matter how careful you are. At night you will always get stopped as they have drug tasks forces especially in the northern part of the state. Gas and food costs are the highest of any of the Midwest states. It is a clean, nice roads, and beautiful state, but it is their politics that make them one of the worst states in the country. If you must pass through, stay as far south as possible. PS; I am a retired police officer, 38 years!

• Diana wackerman | January 29, 2022 at 9:00 pm

I have been in all fifty states. It is a beautiful country.

• Gaines Evans | January 29, 2022 at 7:07 pm

My wife had bugged me for over 10 years about going to NYC, which I said is just another big city (we live in Dallas, TX). I finally obliged her in 2018 and it turned out I had more fun than imaginable. We went back in 2019, were going to go in 2020, but the pandemic….. Neither one of us can wait to go back!

• Terry | January 29, 2022 at 12:02 pm

Nice quick little quiz. Not too easy nor too hard. I’ve visited all of those states but I live in
      OXOXOXO!

• Extra Mile Staff | January 31, 2022 at 9:53 am

Terry – glad you enjoyed!

• J Seagal | February 1, 2022 at 2:08 pm

Terry lives in Arizona

• Nancy Norbeck | January 29, 2022 at 11:39 am

Puzzle was fun. Thanks

• Extra Mile Staff | January 31, 2022 at 9:53 am

Nancy – Thanks for playing!

Disclaimer: Comments are subject to moderation and removal without cause or justification and may take up to 24 hours to be seen in comments. Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked * Please do not include personal policy information; if you have questions or concerns regarding your policy with The Hartford, please log into your account or you can speak directly to a Customer Service Representative.