Auto-Blue

Get An Auto Insurance Quote

Find out if you're eligible to save hundreds on your car insurance.

Brain Teaser: In the Balance

It’s important to exercise your brain as you age in order to stay mentally sharp. One fun way to do this: add brain teasers to your daily routine.

Solving brain teasers is an entertaining pastime that can help you boost mental skills such as concentration, memory and problem solving. Brain games may even combat changes in cognitive skills that occur as you get older.

One beneficial type of brain teaser is a logic puzzle, a game that requires you to use deductive reasoning to figure out a solution to a problem. There are many types of logic puzzles, from cryptograms to sudoku.

Boosting your logic and problem-solving skills can help you with everyday tasks, such as planning a vacation, deciphering the terms of a loan or making a seating chart for your adult child’s wedding.

This in-the-balance brain teaser requires you to use logic, along with visual skills and math, to balance some scales.

• The answer is on the next slide.

Did you try the in-the-balance logic challenge? If so, please comment to weigh in on how you solved it and what other logic games you enjoy.

Looking for more fun? Challenge yourself to some brain teasers.

32 Responses to "Brain Teaser: In the Balance"
    • Jane | September 2, 2021 at 4:50 pm

1 diamond equals 4 squares, 6 diamonds equals 24 squares, 24 squares equals 16 circles, 16 circles equals 4 triangles, 6 triangles equals 4 triangles. Thus 4 triangles balances the scale.
      A good challenge. I enjoyed doing it. Thank you.

• Doug Dalton | March 8, 2021 at 1:09 pm

The first and third scale cancel each other. So the answer is 2/3 of the diamonds of 4th scale being 4 triangles…

• Bill Baird | March 4, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Is anyone interested in a fairly complex logic problem, involving balance scales?

• Pam ROGERS | February 27, 2021 at 3:56 pm

Great brain exercise

• Joyce Cicco | February 27, 2021 at 2:23 pm

I found the lowest number that could be divided evenly by all the groups. That number is 12. I set the green triangle in balance #1 equal to $12, to make it easy to visualize. That makes the 4 blue circles equal to $3 each. In balance #2, you have $6 worth of blue circles, so the red squares are worth $2 each. Continue in this way, and the solution of 4 green triangles which equal $48 is very easy.

• Liz T | February 27, 2021 at 1:33 pm

4 triangles. I am terrible at mathematics, but pretty good at logic problems. I was asked by my high school (a billion years ago) algebra teacher to be on the team going to the state mathematics contest. I said, “But…” to which he replied, “Oh, I’m not sending you for your math skills, trust me. I’m sending you for your logic skills. You can tell the rest of the team HOW to solve the problem and leave the math up to them”. Our team from a tiny high school in Illinois won 2nd place in the state, competing against huge high schools from Chicago! I love solving logic problems, and actually, most math problems can be reduced to logic problems.

• Kevin M | February 28, 2021 at 5:55 am

Same as Marie, the answer is 4 but I came up with it in a different way.

• Gerry Hopkins | March 11, 2021 at 8:49 am

Hi, I got 4 a different way- paper and pencil.

• Augie | February 27, 2021 at 12:19 pm

6 purple triangles

• Jeanne Reed | February 27, 2021 at 11:55 am

I also got the correct answer but went about it in a different way.

• Mary Merriam | February 27, 2021 at 11:35 am

I didn’t get it right but I appreciated the correct responses so I could see what I did wrong!!

• Ann T | February 27, 2021 at 11:30 am

I came up with 4 green diamonds. 6 purple = 24 red; 24 red=8 blue; 8 blue =4 green!!

• carmen midolo | February 27, 2021 at 10:31 am

Answer is 4 triangles will balance scale 4. ( 6 diamonds = 24 squares … 24 squares = 16 circles … 16 circles = 4 triangles )

• Sharon Kral | February 26, 2021 at 8:02 pm

kralsharon@gmail.com

This took some thought, but I got it right – It was fun!!

• Laura Norman | February 26, 2021 at 7:10 pm

I did the math a bit differently, but got the right answer.

• Anthony O'Connell | February 26, 2021 at 12:35 pm

It takes 4 circles to balance 1 triangle and 2 to balance 3 squares. It takes 4 squares to balance 1 diamond. There are 6 diamonds which equate to 24 squares. That equates to 16 circles which means 4 triangles are required to balance the diamonds.

• Jeannette Barber | February 26, 2021 at 12:20 pm

4 triangles
      1 diamond = 4 squares so 6*4=24 squares
      3 square = 2 circles so (24/3)=8*2=16 circles
      4 circles = 1 triangles so 16/4=4

• Brenda | February 27, 2021 at 10:28 am

Jeannette—I solved the same way! 🙂

• Lesley L Shockey | February 27, 2021 at 10:46 am

I followed the same process.
        Les

• Michael Flaherty | February 26, 2021 at 12:19 pm

got correct answer, slightly different process used

• Deborah | October 22, 2020 at 7:07 pm

I got the correct answer of 4 diamonds, but I went in reverse. Somewhat like Dennis from Sept.

• Dennis | September 25, 2020 at 3:51 pm

You asked for triangles and the only one is the green and it is measured on blue circles.

I believe the answer to be 4 (green) triangles.

One purple diamond = 4 red squares so 6 diamonds = 24 red squares.

24 red squares = 16 blue circles.

16 blue circles = 4 green triangles

So, 6 purple diamonds = 4 green diamonds?

• Ronald Collins | February 27, 2021 at 12:34 pm

I worked the same as Dennis.
        4 triangles = 6 Diamonds

• cherry lyn smith | March 4, 2021 at 10:44 am

that is the way I got the right answer.

• Thomas E Daly | February 29, 2020 at 10:09 pm

These are good Brain Teasers..

• Chloe S | March 2, 2020 at 2:56 pm

We are glad you enjoy these Brain Teasers, Thomas! Thank you for the comment.

• Marie | February 27, 2020 at 8:45 pm

I got the correct answer 4, but came up with it in a different way.

• Sandra Frehse | March 2, 2021 at 3:46 pm

Me, too. Worked it backwards.

• Terry Calhoun | October 26, 2019 at 3:52 pm

6 diamonds

• Yvonne Hopkins | February 27, 2021 at 11:45 am

• Susan Fernald | March 1, 2021 at 3:28 pm

If 1 green triangle = 4 blue circles,
        2 blue circles = 1/2 green triangle = 3 red squares.
        4 red squares(3+1/3)) = (1/2 or 3/6) green triangle +1/3 = 2/3 green tri. = 1 purple diamond.
        6 purple diamonds = 6 x 2/3 green tri. = 4

that was a challenge(!) and fun to get

• Pete | April 14, 2021 at 12:43 pm